Guidelines for Public Comment
Members of the public are invited to address The Regents of the University of California whenever The Regents or any of its Committees meets in open session, in accordance with specific guidelines.
In addition, written communications to The Regents are always welcome.
Correspondence addressing items on the agenda of the Board of Regents or its committees must be received by the Office of the Secretary and Chief of Staff no less than twenty-four (24) hours in advance of the beginning of regularly scheduled Board and committee meetings or any off-cycle or special meeting of the Board or its committees. View Regents Office contact information.
The letter or email must clearly identify the agenda item being addressed. Each communication should include a subject line identifying the specific agenda item being addressed; failure to do so could prevent delivery of your comments. Such materials will be distributed to members of the Board, or its appropriate committee, prior to beginning of the Board or committee meeting.
The following guidelines pertain to all speakers who will be addressing the Regents during the Public Comment Sessions.
- Individuals who wish to address the Regents are requested to place their name and the subject they wish to address on the speakers sign-in list posted outside the entrance to the meeting.
- Speakers are requested to address items on the Regents’ agenda or topics relevant to the University of California.
- Please respect the time limit allotted to each speaker (announced at the convening of each public comment period). The Secretary will indicate when your time has expired and the next speaker will be invited to begin.
- Three or more individuals may pool their time for one speaker. The amount of time given to that person will be less than the combined time available to the individuals separately. For example, if individual speakers have 3 minutes each, a representative for a group of 3 or more speakers may be given a total of 7 minutes. Allotted times may be adjusted at the discretion of the Chairman.
- When the Secretary invites you to speak, please indicate if you intend to pool your time with others for a group representative. Those speaking on behalf of others who have yielded their time may be called on after those speaking as individuals.
- Unused portions of individual allotted times may not be yielded to other speakers.
- Efforts will be made to accommodate each individual who has signed up to speak. However, given time constraints, there is no guarantee that all who have signed up will be able to address the Regents.
- Written comments and materials brought for the Regents by speakers will be accepted during public comment and will be made available to the Regents.
- Any speaker who, at the direction of the Chair, is escorted from the meeting room will not be readmitted for the remainder of the day.