Regents Policy 7101: Policy on Appointment of the President of the University
Approved March 15, 1996
Amended September 20, 2007
Each time a vacancy occurs in the presidency or is imminent, The Regents will undertake a search on a nationwide basis to seek the most highly qualified applicants and nominees for the position, following the general guides set forth below.
- In accordance with Bylaws 10.2 and 10.4, the Chairman of the Board of Regents will appoint a Special Committee to consider candidates and to recommend to the Board the appointment of a President of the University. The Chairman of the Board will name up to six members (designating a Chairman and Vice Chairman) in addition to the Alumni Regent who is President of the Alumni Associations of the University, the Student Regent, and the following as ex officio members: the President of the Corporation, the Chairman of the Board, and the former Chairman of the Board as described in Bylaw 10.4.
- The Chairman of the Special Committee will invite the Academic Council to appoint an Academic Advisory Committee, composed of not more than thirteen members, including the Chairman of the Academic Council and at least one representative of each of the ten campuses, to assist the Special Committee in screening candidates.
- The Special Committee will consult broadly with constituent groups of the University, including the Academic Advisory Committee appointed by the Academic Council, Chancellors, Laboratory Directors, Vice Presidents, students, staff, and alumni. To facilitate consultation, there shall be appointed advisory committees, each with no more than twelve members, of students, staff, and alumni. The student advisory committee shall be appointed by the Chairman of the University of California Student Association and shall include at least one student from each campus. The staff advisory committee shall be appointed by the Chairman of the Council of UC Staff Assemblies and shall include at least one staff member from each campus. The alumni advisory committee shall be appointed by the President of the Alumni Associations of the University of California and shall include at least one alumnus from each campus. Such consultation will be for the purpose of (1) reviewing the relevancy of the criteria approved by the Board of Regents and (2) presenting the nominee or nominees to members of the groups at the conclusion of the search.
- The Special Committee will consult with the Board of Regents at the beginning of the search for the purpose of reviewing the relevancy of the criteria to be considered and approved by the Board of Regents and discussing potential candidates. All Regents will be invited to all meetings with all constituencies.
- In general, the consultative practices followed in recent presidential searches shall be carried forward.