Regents Policy 3401: Policy on Student Health and Counseling Centers
Approved November 15, 2012
The Regents are committed to delivering high quality health and counseling services to the students of the University of California in a coordinated, consistent and integrated fashion, including through the University of California Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP), and adopt the following in furtherance of that goal:
- Each Student Health and Counseling Center (“Center”) shall have a governing body, ultimately reporting to and acting under the direction of the Chancellor, which body shall include no fewer than three members, at least one of whom shall be a licensed physician, at least one member who has a health care administrative background and, for counseling centers, at least one member who is a licensed psychologist. Exceptions for members other than the licensed physician may be approved by the Senior Vice President, Health Sciences and Services.
- Each Center shall have a written set of bylaws or comparable documents which shall be reasonably consistent for all Centers.
- The credentials of each health care practitioner employed at each Center shall be verified by the University before such practitioner begins working at the University and at an interval of no more than every three years thereafter. Verification shall be performed on the University’s behalf by a single credentialing verification organization selected by the Senior Vice President, Health Sciences and Services in consultation with the Chair of the Committee on Health Services.
- All Centers shall employ one electronic medical records health information system shared across all locations and managed in compliance with University policy. The application shall have a unified administration, common templates, nationally standardized coding systems as specified in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act and implementing regulations (HIPAA), and standard billing practices for patient services, and shall be selected by the Senior Vice President, Health Sciences and Services in consultation with the Chair of the Committee on Health Services.
- The Senior Vice President, Health Sciences and Services, in consultation with the Chair of the Committee on Health Services, shall direct an external organization to conduct an annual audit and/or risk review of the services provided at the Centers, the results of which shall be reported to the Committee on Health Services. The Senior Vice President, Health Sciences and Services shall also meet on a regular basis, but no less than biannually, with the Center Directors.