Regents Policy 6302: Policy on Divestment of University Holdings in Companies with Business Operations in Sudan
Approved March 16, 2006
Amended November 20, 2008, March 19, 2009 and March 29, 2012
- Divest all shares of the following nine companies: Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd., China Petroleum and Chemical Corp. (Sinopec), Oil & Natural Gas Co. Ltd., PECD Bhd., PetroChina Company Ltd., CNPC Hong Kong, MISC Berhad (Petronas), Lundin Petroleum, and AREF Investment Group held within separately managed equity portfolios of the University of California Retirement Plan (UCRP) and the General Endowment Pool (GEP). The proposed policy would apply to both indexed and actively managed, publicly-traded equity portfolios
- Prohibit future purchase of shares in the above nine companies until such time as the Chief Investment Officer reports to the Committee on Investment that either there is compelling information that a company has materially improved its operation and is no longer thought to be contributing to the suffering in the Darfur region of Sudan, or that the situation in the Darfur region has improved to such a point that the prohibition on investment is no longer thought to be in the best interests of the people of Sudan.
- Condition implementation of the proposed divestment policy upon enactment by the California legislature and signature by the Governor of legislation providing indemnification for past, present, and future individual Regents, and the University, its officers, agents, and employees, for all costs and defense of any claim arising from the decision to divest.
- Instruct the Chief Investment Officer to contact the management of several other companies identified by the Sudan Divestment Study Group to ask them to ensure that their business operations in Sudan, while providing beneficial effects for the people of Sudan, do not inadvertently contribute to the campaign of genocide.
- Instruct the Chief Investment Officer to report on the status of this policy to the Committee on Investments as part of the annual review of the Investment Policies for the UCRP and GEP.
- Divest all shares held in the nine companies within an 18-month period commencing once indemnification legislation has been enacted.
- Communicate the decision to divest shares held in the nine companies to the managers of commingled accounts in which assets of the UCRP and GEP are invested, with a request that they consider the University's stand on this issue as they make their investment decisions.
- Communicate the decision to divest shares held in the nine companies to the Investment Committees of the Campus Foundations so that they may consider adopting similar policies for their Funds.