Bylaw 16. Board and Committee Procedures
16.1 Order of Business of the Board.
The following shall be the order of business at each regular meeting of the Board:
Approval of the minutes of the last meeting
Report of the President of the University
Reports of Standing Committees
Reports of Special Committees
Reports of Officers of The Regents
Supplemental Report on Executive Compensation
At special meetings the order of business shall be:
Reading of notice and statement of service thereof
The special business for which the meeting was called
The regular order of business may be suspended at any meeting by a vote of a majority of the Regents present.
16.2 Attendance of Alumni Associations Representatives.
The Secretary and the Treasurer of the Alumni Associations of the University of California shall be invited to attend meetings of the Board.
16.3 Quorum of the Board.
Nine Regents shall constitute a quorum for transaction of business at regular meetings of the Board, and twelve Regents shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at special meetings of the Board.
16.4 Quorums of Committees.
Five members of any standing committee, special committee, or subcommittee shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
16.5 Adjournment When No Quorum.
Any meeting may be adjourned and its business continued on an appointed day by the vote of a majority of the Regents present even though there shall be present less than a quorum.
16.6 Presiding at Committee Meetings.
In the absence of the Chairman of a Committee, the Vice Chairman shall preside and otherwise perform the Chairman's duties, and in the absence of both Chairman and Vice Chairman, the member of the Committee who has greatest seniority on the Board and who is present and able to act shall preside and otherwise perform the duties of the Chairman.
16.7 Rules of Procedure.
The rules contained in Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the proceedings at and the conduct of the meetings of the Corporation and its Committees, in all cases to which they are applicable and which are not covered in or by the Bylaws.
16.8 Procedures for Reports.
- Reports shall be submitted to the Board or its Committees in accordance with a schedule of reports adopted by the Board.
- Requests for other reports to be prepared for submission to the Board or its Committees shall be voted by the Board or the appropriate Committee.
Communications for presentation to the Board or a Committee thereof shall be in writing and shall be presented by the Secretary and Chief of Staff at the next regular meeting following their receipt by the Secretary and Chief of Staff, provided that communications from the Academic Senate or members of the faculty or student body or employees of the University shall be presented only through the President of the University. This Bylaw does not apply to communications presented by members of the University of California Student Association Board of Directors or by members of the Academic Council of the Academic Senate pursuant to Bylaw 16.10.
16.10 Appearances Before the Board and Committees.
- Individuals or organizations shall have an opportunity to address the Board or a Committee directly on each open session agenda item before or during discussion or consideration of the item in accordance with such procedures as may be adopted by The Regents by resolution, provided that the Chairman of the Board or the Committee Chairman, as appropriate, may reasonably limit the total amount of time allocated for public testimony on particular issues and for each speaker and may limit testimony either to assure that it is germane to the item or if it does not involve a specific matter which has been delegated to an officer and which is more appropriately raised with that officer. Individuals seeking to address the Board or a Committee shall communicate their intention to the Secretary and Chief of Staff no later than the beginning of the morning or afternoon sessions of The Regents on the day the individual wishes to speak.
- No Officer, faculty member, or other employee, or student of the University or any group of Officers, faculty members, or other employees, or students of the University shall submit any matter to the Board or its Committees for official consideration except through the President of the University.
- The Chairman of the Committee on Educational Policy, the Committee on Finance, or the Committee on Grounds and Buildings, or the President of the University, may request that specific members of the University of California Student Association Board of Directors and/or members of the Academic Council of the Academic Senate be requested to speak on those items being considered by the Board in which students and/or faculty, in previous committee meetings, have indicated an interest and on those items being considered by the Board which have not been discussed in previous public committee meetings.
- The President of the University shall invite to attend and appear before meetings of the Board and of Committees thereof such Officers of the University and such other persons as may be needed in the best interest of the University.
- At all public meetings of the Committee on Educational Policy, the Committee on Finance, or the Committee on Grounds and Buildings, members of the University of California Student Association Board of Directors and members of the Academic Council of the Academic Senate may be granted permission by the respective Committee Chairman to speak on agenda items.
16.11 Reconsideration, Repeal, or Rescission.
No motion for repeal or rescission of any action taken by the Board shall be voted upon unless notice of intention to make such motion shall have been given at the previous meeting or by mail by the Secretary and Chief of Staff to each member of the Board and the subject matter of the motion has been placed on the agenda in accordance with Bylaw 14.5.
Any member may move for the reconsideration of an action taken by the Board. Such motion must be made and voted upon at the same meeting at which said action is taken.
16.12 Minutes of Board and Committee Proceedings.
- Minutes of the proceedings of the Board shall be kept by the Secretary and Chief of Staff and, as soon as practical after a meeting, a copy of said minutes shall be mailed to each member.
- Minutes of the proceedings of each committee shall be kept by the Secretary and Chief of Staff and, as soon as practical after a meeting, a copy of said minutes shall be mailed or delivered to each member of said Committee.
- The minutes of closed sessions shall be kept separate from those of the public meetings. .
Includes amendments through January 18, 2007